Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Decisions decisions

So, when do I retake my skills test? I need to decide on a goal and meet it.

The husband thinks I should go again next Wednesday. I am certain this is not a good idea. There aren't any practices between now and then.

I don't want to take it too soon and have the same issues I had the first time. Still, I'd like to get this under my belt. I don't want to fall into the trap of listening to my head telling me I'm not ready. I know I can do this, but a part of me will always fear that I am not ready. The longer I wait before re-taking, the louder that voice is going to become.

In short, if I wait until I'm really really ready, I'll never do it.

Next wednesday, however, is too soon. I have a plan for beating the heat, but I'd like to test it out. I'd also like to test my ability to at least go ten laps in two minutes before attempting the 25 in 5. I'd like to get a handle on my 180 turns and get a bit more practice taking and giving hip checks.

In theory I can work on all of this next Wednesday, and retake on Sunday. That is what I would really like to do - to get my test passed before the 4th of July trip. I'm talking to the Sioux Falls League about visiting and observing one of their practices. Although I'm not planning to skate with them (but will bring my gear just in case) I would still like to be able to tell them I had just passed my skills test.

I know that's silly.

What's more important is momentum. I took yesterday off, but today I'm back to my off-skates workouts and harder than ever. I'm bumping up the intensity of my treadmill time, as well as the number of sets of squats I'm doing. I'm adding more lunges, and we're going to try to finally set up the bowflex so I can get some leg training in to help with recovery time. Even though I won't have practice for a week, I'll still be building strength and endurance.

So this week I'll be focusing on off skates workouts, then we have two practices before 4th of July vacation. I'll probably miss two or three practices over the 4th, and probably will not be able/willing to focus much on working out. It will be a true week off, and I fear I will lose all the progress I am making this week. Also, if you figure I'd need a couple weeks at least after returning to prepare, that puts me in August for the test. August, of course, is hotter than June.

My plan now is to have another look at my score sheet, and see how close I would've been to passing. That will make my decision for me, really.

No comments:

Post a Comment