Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Final Countdown to Minimum Skills 5 Days

Today is Tuesday. My minimum skills test is Sunday.

I wake at 6:00 a.m. Actually, I wake at 6:10. Okay, 6:20. I wake the husband and remind him he'll be on breakfast duty when the kids wake. I fumble for the clothes I set out last night and hop in the car already containing my skate bag. I'm heading for the local bike trails.

This is an unusual event for me for two reasons: my kids and my fear. I love being with my kids, and I don't like to leave my kids for any reason. Being away from home the two nights a week we have derby practice has been a major adjustment for me. I gave up my career so I would be here for my kids. I want to wake them and make breakfast, and I want to put them to bed at night. Roller derby is something I want very much for myself, but I still want to maximize my time with my boys.

The fear I'm experiencing is that of skating outside. After my friend broke her leg so badly, the rest of us newbies were strongly discouraged from skating outside. Uneven ground, cracks and rocks, pebbles of death, and the possibility of moisture all combine to make outdoor skating treacherous for inexperienced skaters.

Up to this point, any between practice skating has been done in my kitchen or in my garage. It's not super effective, but I can just nip out for half an hour instead of driving 20 minutes each way. It doesn't take me away from the kids. My garage floor is smooth and I can sweep any offending particles out of it. it's a safe, convenient way to get some time on skates.

My trek to The trails is an act of determination (desperation) to pass the skills test. This week my family and my home will take a back seat to my derby.

Once I arrive at the track, I spend 20 minutes putting soft wheels on my skates. These wheels are more suited to outside skating. They tend to roll over pebbles and cracks instead of screeching to a halt at them. I hope they work. I'd rather not go flying today. I gear up and set off skating.

I had forgotten how difficult it is to skate on soft wheels. It's like skating through thick mud. It takes a lot of pushing to get anywhere. My thighs burn and my shins ache. I tire out quickly, but this is good. I'm working all the right muscles. The wheels live up to their promise of taking road imperfections in stride. I glide over many obstacles that would've sent me flying off my hard wheels. It's still nerve wracking, though. I can't shake the fear of the uneven ground. Overall, though, this is a successful venture.

Later, after the boys go to bed, I drag my skate bag out of the car. I put the hard wheels back on it and prepare to run some drills in the garage. A lace is broken! My first broken skate lace feels like a rite of passage.

Tired and hungry, I suit up.

Ewwwwww! My pads are still wet with this morning's sweat.

In the garage , I set soda cans at five foot intervals and practice weaving. It's difficult in a garage where you can't get up any speed. I also work on my 180 turns, again awkwardly because of the confined space. By the end of the evening, I feel much more confident in my weaving, jumping, and turns. Tomorrow morning I work on left knee drops and single leg glides.

I can do this.

No comments:

Post a Comment