Thursday, June 14, 2012

Final Countdown to Minimum Skills - 3 Days

My plans to run drills in the garage before the kids wake up are thwarted when one of the kids wakes up a SIX freakin A.M.! Poor guy. I don't think he feels well.

It's probably for the best. Sure, my weaves could use some work, but overall I feel okay about my basic skills. I worked a lot of things out in Wednesday's practice, and feeling a lot more confident overall. My ability to pass or fail most of the test will depend on the expectations. If I need to do passable knee drops, hits and whips, I'll be fine. If I need to do expert knee drops, hard hits, and powerful whips, I'm out of luck. Either way, an hour in the garage isn't going to help me.

The huge variable for me is the 25 laps. I am certain that I can do more than 17 laps in 5 minutes, but I don't know how close I can get to 25. I have some strategies in place now. Thanks to my team mates, I now know the sweet spot in the track. I can't exactly do crossovers, but I can kind of step around the corners in a way that saves a LOT of wear and tear on my left leg. I don't know if these strategies will improve my speed, but I believe they must improve my stamina since I no longer feel my legs are going to fall off after five laps. That has to help. Not feeling like you're losing your legs can only be a good thing.

It does seem that my time between now and the test is best spent improving my endurance. I replace garage time with treadmill time. In the morning and the evening, I hit the treadmill for 30 (25) minutes. I alternate walking at a good clip with running (jogging) for two (one and a half) minutes at a time.

I feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment