Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Visiting Skater Clinic

I arrive quite late. We couldn't find the car keys and we couldn't find my husband's headset and one of the kids was in a grumpy mood. I just couldn't get out of the house on time. I feel awful about it. Today we have a special guest skater coming to do a clinic with the us. It is so disrespectful to be late like this. I worry a little that they won't let me in, since I missed sign up.

No worries, though. Because I have not passed my skills test, I won't be skating in the clinic. I'll just be there to take notes and watch. Since I don't need I suit up and such, I'm not all that late.

She is superb. She has an amazing teaching style, and imparts great information to us. She includes life advice as well as derby strategy, but manages to do so without sounding preachy.

In addition to watching her teach, I'm having a great time watching Christie skate in the clinic. Part of me really really wants to be out there skating with everyone, but part of me is a tad bit relieved. These exercises are way above my skillset. I fear I would have been too stressed about performing to have any fun. It does look like fun, though. Christie is out there putting her whole self into it. It's hard work but she's obviously having a blast.

When the clinic comes to an end, I realize something important. This is hard work for everyone. All of the girls - new girls and vets - are panting and glistening. As skates come off, aching feet are rubbed. Dripping knee and elbow pads are removed with the sharp rip of Velcro. Everyone is exhausted past the point of pain, yet everyone glows with happiness. It is not just me. It is not just being new. Skating your ass off is hard work. That is part of the reward.

The best part of the day, however, comes at the end. After the clinic is over, pictures are taken with the guest skater. The team is called to come get a group photo with her.

I'm not officially an team member. I did not pass my test. I can't play, or even scrimmage. I don't join the team photo. As the girls gather and prepare to say, "cheese," two or three girls tell to me, "Ramona, what are you doing? Get over here!". I'm called in to be in the team photo.

It is a little thing. Still, it means the world to me. More and more, with every practice, I feel less like a newcomer/outsider and more like a part of the group. Today I truly feel like I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment