Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Okay I Lurve My Skates Again

I'm pleased and quite relieved to report that I seem to have figured out how to resolve the foot cramping issues with the new skates.

You must understand this is all relative. My feet still cramp throughout practice, especially if we are practicing quick feet or something where we are trying to remain stationary. Do my feet hurt? Yes. Do I need to stop periodically to circle my ankles? Yes. I am not, however, in miserable agony.

The trick for me is to make my skates feel all super snug without actually putting any pressure on the middle part of my foot.

Here's how my skates are set up:
The boots are laced normal at the toe, super loose through the middle, and crazy tight at the top. I'm talking they're really crazy super tight at the top, plus I pull the strap tight. Sometimes my toes fall asleep and I know that means I need to loosen them a bit.

I pulled out the insole that came in the boot, replacing it with the arch support kind I use in all my sneakers. Over top of that insole lies a second one. The second insole is a plain cheapy flat white job. It gives a bit extra padding, is soft and cushiony, and also can be replaced cheaply when the skates start to stink.

I bought a bunch of those heel cushions that are meant for women's pumps. They are supposed to keep that back part of a woman's shoe from rubbing and causing blisters. I line the heel of each skate with these. It allows the heel of my skate to grip my foot a bit. This helps a BUNCH, but isn't really sustainable. They don't stay in well. They sometimes wind up jammed into my toe by end of practice. I have to replace at least two every time I wear my skates, and they're not especially inexpensive. I have therefore ordered some little neoprene booties called Ezee Fit. They fit around the heel and ankle, providing some cushioning and also some traction against the heel of the skate. I have extremely high hopes for these.

The most important modification I made to my skates, however, is . . .

WEARING THEM.

I put them on around noon and wear them until night. I skate on the tile and walk on the carpet. I lean from one side to the other, plow stop and t stop, and generally try to put the same kinds of pressure on my feet and skates as I do at practice.

My feet and my skates have become acquainted, and are now forming a friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment