Thursday, April 12, 2012

Bumpin' and Jumpin'

Angela is instructing us today, and wields a copy of the minimum skills test. We go down the list, and I'm pleased to find we've already covered much of it. One thing we haven't covered is hitting each other.

Those of you unfamiliar with derby might be picturing elbows to the face and knees to the back. Those of you who know derby, however, know that there are very specific kinds of hits that are allowed. Anything else is a penalty.

The hits we are to learn today are hip checks and shoulder checks. It us what it sounds like it is. A hip check involves skating beside someone, and bumping their hip with yours. Remember that sing and dance, "Doing the Butt?" Probably not. Anyhow, it's like that. Shoulder checks are when you bump the other girl's arm or rib cage with your shoulder, being careful to not touch her with your elbow. Angela shows us how to do them, then tells us to try it out.

Whaaaa?

I'm genuinely shocked. I, for one, can barely stay on my skates. I can't imagine trying to bump someone! It's quite scary and also thrilling. What if I knock someone down? That's silly, of course. Knocking people down or away is part of the whole gig. I take a breath and I start skating alongside Christie. This by itself is a bit intimidating for me. Im not used to skating right beside someone like this. What if my skates hit her skates? What if i start to lose balance and i take her down with me? What if she loses balance and I roll over her? So far so good, though. We bump each other. We do this a few times. We both fall a few times, as often just due to falling as due to the bumps.

This is crazy fun. Once we've gone through both types of checks a few times, Angela asks what else we want to work on.

Christie says, "If it's on that piece of paper, I want to try it." I think this is very well put.

I'd like to take a moment to say how great it is to be learning along with someone like Christie. I personally tend toward negativity, and am frequently intimidated by or am afraid of new activities. If you've been reading along with my adventures here, you've probably picked up on that. Christie, however, is a go-er. She is upbeat and enthusiastic about all of this, and always goes for it. Her energy reminds me that although this is hard work, it's also fun.

Angela consults the list and asks if we've done jumps. Nope, I am certain we have not. Once again, scary.

The skills test involves jumping 3" off the floor WHILE SKATING. Actually, once I think about it, I realize it's probably easier to jump on skates if you're moving rather than if you're standing still. I watch Angela do it, then I give it a shot. I roll forward slowly, slowly, then . . . Hop!

I did it! I wobbled a bit on re-entry, but I did not fall! I do it a couple more times. Hop! Hop! Yippee!

Can I really be the same girl who so recently struggled just to propel myself forward without falling? Here I am, bumping and jumping!

No comments:

Post a Comment