Saturday, April 21, 2012

Banked Track Ballin'

Today I travel to my first bout with my new team.

I'm not playing, obviously. Melinda and I are selling merchandise. Luckily, the merch tables are located so we can clearly see the bout. I'm super excited to be contributing to the team that has taken in my slow ass, and am looking forward to socializing post-bout.

Here's the part where we talk about the banked track. Most modern derby leagues are flat track. My team is a banked track team. Currently, however, due to space requirements, we don't have a place to set up our track. We currently practice on a flat track and most of our bouts are flat track. It is a big deal when we get to play a banked track team.

Here's the awesomeness. Before the bout, Melinda and I are able to skate on the banked track for a while!!!

It's kind of terrifying. The bank is so much steeper win you're on it than when you're just watching. Merely climbing onto the track requires a couple of deep breaths and a steadying of nerves. From the ground, I throw a knee up onto the track and pull myself up. I stand.

Now what?

I'm standing on wheels at the top of what is now a crazy steep slope. I grip the railing. My knuckles whiten and I forget to breathe for a minute. Someone makes an extremely helpful suggestion: to get to the bottom, drop to my knees and slide down on my kneepads. Awesome!

Relief. I can relax.

Now what?

In order to actually skate on the bank, I'll have to somehow get back up to the top and start from there. Okay deep breath. Up on the toe stops. Bend my knees. Don't topple over backwards. Hold my breath. Run up the track on my toe stops until I can stretch out and reach the guard rail. Pull myself up from there.

Hmmmm. Now I'm back where I started. I'm at the top of the bank gripping the rail for dear life.

There's nothing to it but to do it. I let go and try to propel myself forward faster than gravity can pull me downward. I get a few feet before I hit the floor and slide to the bottom.

Okay. Try it again. And again. And again. I fall more times than I can count.

It. Is. AWESOME. I love it.

I am going to make it all the way around the track if I have to do it five feet at a time. That is about how it happens. Various teammates come by to offer support, tips and hints. I hope I'm not too much in their way. Eventually their warm ups take a more serious turn and I clear the track for them.  I watch in awe as they run drills that involve bouncing off the guardrail, getting off an back on the track, etc. I've never watched banked track from inside the track before. It is quite something to see. I am exhilarated.

The ladies take a break. The track is free for me to keep trying. Up the track, skate, slide down. I'm getting better! The amount of distance I can skate between falls keeps increasing. I never make it all the way around, but I do make it over halfway! I go the length of a straightaway, down the curve, and back up the next straightaway before I lose momentum and slide down. Whee!

Jamie has hung around to supervise Melinda and I. We can't really be skating by ourselves. I'm sure she'd rather be getting something to eat, and I am grateful to her. I'm even more grateful when she suggests I hold onto her hips while she takes me around the track. Up, down, and around she pulls me around the track twice at what feels like a breathtaking speed to me.

Thanks Jamie!

I would live to keep going, but recognize I am holding her up. I reluctantly remove my skates and gear, go get some dinner, and prepare to sell T-shirts. It is the most fun day!

Oh, and there's also a bout and an after party!

No comments:

Post a Comment