Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Roller Skating Injuries are Sexy

Unfortunately, my current injuries are not skating related.

Yesterday after putting gas in my car, I climbed back into the driver's seat. Before I could make it, however, my foot slipped out from under me. I fell backwards out of my car and onto the pavement. The entire left side of my body slammed down on the concrete curb that the gas pumps sit on. My head banged against the gas pump. By the time I got home, my elbow had swelled impressively and my hip had turned black. There is nothing, NOTHING sexy about gas station fall injuries.

So much for my triumphant return to skating.

Doctor's orders are no skating for a week. While getting X-Ray orders, I asked the doctor if I could "roller skate." I'm not ready to use the term "Roller Derby" with her. I think she's wise to it, though. She looked at me and asked of I can expect to fall a lot while skating. I said I'm pretty likely to fall. She said not to skate if there is a chance I could land on that elbow. I'm to give it a couple of weeks.

So here I am at practice, my first practice after quitting without telling anyone I was quitting, and I'm just hanging around watching. I feel silly. I can't skate because my elbow hurts? What a wussy noob. I wish I would've brought my skates so I could at least do a few laps.

On the other hand, I'm not sure that I could get my elbow pad on over my swollen elbow. I am sure that it would be excruciating if I tried. Plus, I'm playing this off like it is a bump on the elbow and not a big deal, but it was a bad fall and is kind of a big deal. So maybe this is okay. This weekend there will be no practice because of a bout on Saturday. This means I will get an entire week of rest but only miss one practice.

Meanwhile, ouch!

No comments:

Post a Comment