Sunday, July 8, 2012

More Tragic and Less Tragic

After being gone entirely for over a week, and off skates for two, I show up an hour late for practice. That's right. I show up AN HOUR late for a two hour practice. I admit this was bound to happen at some point. Wednesday practice is at seven, but Sunday practice is at six. While this is fairly straightforward, it is the kind of thing that will trip me up. I usually remember because I figure Wednesday practice is later to give everyone a chance to get off work. However, one time I did head out the door at 5:15 for Wednesday practice, and now today I show up at 6:50 for Sunday practice.

How embarrassing.

The worst part is I was so proud that I was going to be on time for once. Usually I show up right at six (or seven.) This is actually late, though, because once I get there I have to hit the restroom. Anyone who's tried to pee while wearing skates and gear knows the value of getting that out of the way ahead of time. Then I have to gear up, which takes me forever. By the time I'm ready to hit the track, I'm late. Every time. Finally I am arriving with enough time to suit up! When I enter the warehouse, however, everyone's already skating. What the . . . ? Oh. Crap.

It turns out, however, that this may be a blessing. I only get to have an hour of practice, but I'm really feeling it. My ankles feel weak. My feet cramp. My shins groan a bit. My hips scream. It's not like being totally new, but I can tell that I've been a slug lately and it is uncomfortable. To top it off, it's just so very hot.

Then I feel it. A small but unmistakable wave of nausea rolls through me. I get a sip of water and rub some ice on the back of my neck. I'm okay. Everyone's hot. Obviously the human body can deal with this. I've been gulping water and gatorade for the past week so I'm well hydrated. I'll be fine. I return to the track, where I'm having lots of fun despite my discomfort. I skate a couple more laps, practice a couple more stops. Another wave rolls through. This one buckles my knees. It's not an emergency but I make my way to the restroom. I remove my helmet, splash some water on my face and hair, and feel better. I'm fine. I'm okay. I return to skating. Now it's getting to about the end of practice. Originally I had intended to see how many laps I can do in two minutes when practice was ending. Now this seems like a horrifyingly bad idea. I've got an unpleasant urpy feeling in the back of my throat. My helmet smothers me. If I can take it off, obviously all this heat in my body will be released. I remove my helmet which surprisingly does absolutely nothing to make me feel better. It is the end of practice though so I dodge the vomit bullet for today. What if I had gotten to practice on time, though? I'd never have made it.

Apparently getting sick is a trend for me now that we have hit summer weather. How do I combat this? The first thing I learned is that guzzling water during practice is not the answer. It makes me feel like there's a watermelon in my belly and contributes to the nausea. This was a big issue on skills test day. I kept feeling hot and sick so I kept drinking water which made me feel bloated and more sick. Today I employ the strategy of hydrating before, but only sipping during the practice, rubbing ice on my neck to cool off. This is a huge improvement over guzzling water during practice, but it's not getting me all the way there.

On the bright side, practice is super fun. I was the only one of my group who didnt pass skills, so I have been worried about being the only new girl. It turns out there are two brand new girls! They are great. I'm so eased to be working with them. They are starting at square one, obviously, which turns out to be perfect because it gives me the opportunity to brush up on the things I need. They are learning falls, so I am practicing popping up from a fall quickly and repeatedly. They are learning stops, so I'm improving my stops. They are learning 180 turns and . . . so am I. It's past time for me to learn this.

I spend a lot of time working on my turns. I hit the ground several times and come home with a couple of decent bruises. I still cant do them but am confident I will get it next time. I work on single leg glides, and can now almost go the whole straightaway on my right foot. (On the test I couldn't do it on my right at all.) Perhaps the most important things I think I will gain from this second round of new girl practice are endurance and confidence.

The bonus is I really like the new girls and I think they will both be staying. I look forward to learning with them. I hope I can be some help to them as I hone the last of my skills.

I also hope the heat lets up.

No comments:

Post a Comment