Saturday, March 31, 2012

Ouch! My Pride!

The kids are asleep. The baby monitor is rests on a table in the garage. The husband is grilling.

I am in the driveway, skates and gear on, practicing the skills I'm learning.

Hubby hasn't seen me on skates since the first time I thought of joining derby, five years ago. Back then, I wobbled on legs that were not in cooperation with my feet. I had been terrified of falling, which was unfortunate because I couldn't stay up.

Now, however, I can roll forward without falling every time. Even more important than that I my confidence. I feel pretty good on my skates. My body is no longer rigid. I am not holding my breath. My face is not in a scowl. I am enjoying myself, and feel extremely proud.

Don't they always say that pride goes before the fall?

As I'm practicing knee drops, Hubby asks, "If you fall, should I help you up?"

"Nope," I say, "getting up is part of what learning."

It seems almost immediate after I say this that I suffer a catastrophic fall. I'm not sure how it happens. All I know is my back hit the ground as my right leg goes in a completely different direction from the rest of me.

Think James Brown, and those splits.

As I land, a shocking jolt screams through my hip. Once I'm down, however, I feel okay. I start to get up. I try to swing my leg around in front of me and bend my knee.

Obviously, someone is stabbing me in the hip. That I the only explanation for this agony. I cant even get my leg into position to try to get up. I'm done slaying for the day. I remove my skates and try to get up again.

Sonofabitch! Ouch! Really?!?

The elves stabbing me in the hip are going to work with explosives now. I can't get up at all. I now must swallow my pride and ask Hubby for help. He helps me to my feet and picks up my skates for me. We head inside.

Nope. Not happening. I can't walk at all. My hip is full of barbed wire, and when I try to put weight on it, I feel like fainting. Hubby helps me into the house, where I plant my butt on the sofa the rest of the night.

Ouch, my pride. Thankfully, Hubby is saving his jokes for tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment